It is important to maintain proper foot care, and this can be difficult for many seniors to accomplish. Elderly people may have difficulty in bending down to trim their toenails, in addition to checking their feet for cuts, bruises, or wounds. Poor circulation may be a common ailment among seniors and this may cause numbness in the feet. Dry feet may be prevented when plenty of fresh water is consumed daily, and the feet can feel better when they are soaked in warm water. It is important to wear shoes and socks that fit correctly, and this often helps to prevent bunions and blisters from developing. If you would like additional information about how elderly feet should be cared for, please consult with a podiatrist.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact Dr. Stephen S. Pirotta from Advanced Foot & Ankle Clinics. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
The Elderly and Their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet and can hide many life-threatening medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in Bentonville, AR . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.