Always measure your feet if you have any questions about your proper shoe size. You can measure your own feet with a tape measure or ruler, paper, a writing implement, and a chair to sit on while measuring your feet. First, tape the paper to the floor so it will not move. Second, sit on the chair and put one foot on the paper. Make sure to wear socks or foot coverings that you plan to wear with shoes before placing them on the paper. Third, outline the outside of your foot with your pen or pencil. Do this for both feet to check subtle differences that might be present between your feet. Fourth, measure from the tip of the heel to the longest toe of your foot and make a note of the numbers. Finally, do some simple math – subtract 3/16 from the measurement you wrote down to account for the difference between your foot and the shoe. The result is your shoe size! If you have trouble measuring your feet properly or find that you are still not able to find comfortably fitting shoes, see a podiatrist for help in measurements, and shoe suggestions, or to help you detect any other problems that might be going on with your feet.
Getting the right shoe size is an important part of proper foot health. Seek the assistance of Dr. Stephen S. Pirotta from Advanced Foot & Ankle Clinics. Our doctor will provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Getting the Right Shoe Size
There are many people who wear shoes that are the incorrect size, negatively affecting their feet and posture. Selecting the right shoes is not a difficult process, so long as you keep several things in mind when it comes to choosing the right pair.
- When visiting the shoe store, use the tools available to measure your foot.
- Be sure there is ‘wiggle room’. There should be about an inch between your toes and the tip of your shoes.
- Do not always assume you are the same size, as manufacturers run differently.
- Purchase shoes later in the day, as your feet swell as the day progresses.
- If a shoe is not comfortable, it is not suitable. Most shoes can’t be ‘broken in’, and comfort should be the ultimate goal when it comes to choosing the right pair of shoes
As our feet hold our body weight and keep us moving, it is important to treat them right. Picking the right pair of shoes can provide your feet comfort and mobility without pain.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Bentonville, AR . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.